EATRIS is the European network of translational medicine research infrastructures that aims to establish a European infrastructure specialized in biomedicine to optimize the access of basic research results to clinical applications, capable of achieving a significant impact on healthcare and contributing to the advancement of biomedical tools and technologies.
This European network provides access to a wide range of preclinical and clinical expertise and facilities that are available at more than 115 leading academic centers across Europe.
The network comprises a total of 13 countries: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. One of the 15 accredited institutes in Spain is IBIMA.
The infrastructure is organized in 5 platforms belonging to different fields of biomedicine:
– Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products and biologics (ATMP): Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMP) represent a new category of medicines with a wide therapeutic potential for treating different types of diseases such as cancer, neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases. EATRIS ATMP platform offers over 35 state of the art European centres covering the entire ATMP production and development pipeline.
– Biomarkers for precision medicine: In the era of personalized medicine, biomarkers play a crucial role in diagnostic and treatment decisions. EATRIS Biomarkers Product Platform facilitates the validation and development of biomarkers for the prevention, diagnosis and prognostic assessment of disease as well as for the prediction of therapy response.
– Vaccinesz: The EATRIS platform covers the entire vaccine development and production pipeline ranging from late-phase pre-clinical development to clinical trials.
– Small molecules: innovative translational (small molecule) drug discovery and development from preclinical validation to proof of concept. The EATRIS Small Molecules platform supports the pre-clinical and clinical development of drug candidates, utilising academic expertise around novel targets and molecular scaffolds.
– Imaging and Tracing for imaging-enabeled drug development: use of high-level infrastructure for advanced translational molecular imaging to support drug development. The EATRIS Imaging and Tracing Platform provides a single point of entry to high-end expertise and cutting edge translational imaging facilities, defragmenting the scattered nature of technical know-how and making optimal use of resources to improve R&D output.
IBIMA as an EATRIS associated institute is part of the ATMP and biomarkers platforms.
EATRIS, in order to improve the biomedical research of its member institutes, offers different types of services:
- Fostering Industry- Academia collaborations
- Education & Training
- Support for funding applications
- Health Technology Assessment
- Expert mentoring service for rare disease researchers
- Regulatory services
- Innovation Helpdesk
- EATRIS Inside for Research Funders
- Technology Leaflets
A large part of these services are free for IBIMA as a member of this network.